Samyetang - Korean Ginseng Chicken Soup



I was craving for a nutritious and nourishing soup but have grown sick of the ubiquitous Chinese soups that I've been having. Inspired by yet another Korean drama that I've watched recently, I've decided to try out with a Samyetang - Korean Ginseng Chicken Soup recipe instead. I'm not too sure if the taste is truly authentic (the last time I tried a traditional one in Korea was a decade back) but it was  definitely slurping good.

Serves 3 - 4
Ingredients:
1                        small chicken (feet and wings removed), rinsed and pat dry
10 cloves           garlic, peeled
10                      red dates
3                        ginseng root
1/2 cup              glutinous rice, soaked for at least an hour
2 stalk               spring onion, chopped
                         salt and pepper

Method:

Stuff the cavity of the chicken with the soaked glutinous rice, 4 to 5 garlic cloves, 4 to 5 red dates and 2 ginseng root.

Place the chicken into a small pot and add in 1 litre of water.

Add in the remaining garlic cloves, red dates and ginseng root.

Bring to boil on high heat and lower heat to simmer for a minimum of 40 minutes, adding additonal water if necessary.

Season with salt and pepper and garnish with chopped spring onion before serving.




Follow me on Facebook

Popular Posts