Shark's Bone Cartilage Soup

 
I know the environmentalists are gonna frown at me but still, I have to admit that Shark's Bone Soup is one of my all time favourite soups, even more than the expensive shark's fin. Then again, I was never a fan of the ubiquitous shark's fin soup to begin with. Lest the common perception that this is another version of a shark's fin soup, you will be surpised to know that it has absolutely no shark's fin in it. All you get is a thick milky gelatinous soup that is packed with all the collagen extracted from the shark's bone after hours and hours of brewing. Don't ask me why I like this, I just enjoy that sticky aftertaste in my mouth, evidence of a collagen overload.
 
Ingredients:
 
1                        chicken carcasse, blanched
1 packet             pork shank, blanched
10                      chicken feet, blanched
1 thumbsized    Jin Hua ham, diced 
1 piece              dried tangerine peel
1 tablespoon     white peppercorn
5 pieces            large sharks soft bone
3 slices             old ginger 
1 tablespoon     wolfberries, rinsed
 
Method:
 
Place all ingredients except the wolfberries in a large stock pot and place in 4 litres of water. Bring to boil.
 
Lower heat and simmer for a good 4 hours covered, stirring constantly to ensure that the ingredients do not stick to the bottom of the pot. Add in more water if required.
 
After 4 hours, what you should get is a thick milky gelatinous consistency. Add in the wolfberries and cook for another minute or so before serving.
 
 



Follow me on Facebook

Popular Posts