Tteokbokki (Korean Rice Cake)


I have been craving for some mean Tteokbokki (Korean rice cake) for a very long time. The last time I had a really good version was in a small family-run Korean restaurant located in a small dark alley in Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong. I seriously doubt I will be flying HK anytime soon so I've decided to make them on my own. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get hold of some Korean fish cake so I've made a vegetarian version instead. If you are lucky enough to get some, do add them in alongside the other ingredients.

Serves 2
Ingredients:

250g                                    rice cake, rinsed
2 cups                                 dashi stock (I used water with dashi stock flavouring)
1/2                                      yellow onion, sliced
1/2                                      carrot, sliced thinly
1 clove                                garlic, minced
1 tablespoon                        soy sauce
2 tablespoons                      Gochujang (red pepper paste)
2 tablespoons                      sugar
1/4                                      leek, sliced thinly
1 teaspoon                          roasted white or black sesame

Method:

Place 2 cups of dashi stock in a saucepan and bring to boil. Mix in 2 tablespoons of Gochujang, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 tablespoons of soy sauce and 1 clove of minced garlic. Bring to boil for 5 minutes.

Add in the sliced onion, sliced carrot and rice cake and bring the heat down to low. Stir continuously until the sauce thicken and reduced.

Mix in the sliced leek and stir another minute. Serve with a teaspoon of roasted sesame seeds.



Follow me on Facebook

Popular Posts