Korean Army Stew - Budae Jjigae
This was a result of watching way too much Korean drama. I just HAD to eat something that is commonly featured in those heart wrenching episodes. Many a times, we see instant noodles with packet cheese, or a bowl of hot piping kimchi ramen (Ramen by the way, are just another form of instant noodles in Korea). I wanted to treat myself to something a little better and chose this Korean 'stew' brimming with American ingredients (an interesting creation during the Korean war) instead.
Serves 2
Ingredients:
1/2 can Spam, sliced
2 whole frankfurters, sliced
1 bunch spinach, cut into 2 inches long
1 bunch mung bean sprouts, with ends removed
1 block tofu, cut into small pieces
2 cups chicken stock (or water with 1 chicken bouillon cube)
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp gochujiang (Korean red pepper paste)
1 piece Korean instant noodles (only the noodles)
Method:
Add sesame oil into a pot and add in garlic and gochujiang. Fry for about half a minute and add in chicken stock. Add in all ingredients except for the instant noodles. Bring to boil and lower to simmer for about 10 minutes. Add in the instant noodles 3 minutes prior to serving.
Follow me on Facebook
Popular Posts
-
Garlic sprouts are crunchy, super sweet and I especially love it when it's lightly stir-fried. In this recipe, I've added some dr...
-
I give in to desire and temptation easily, and today's dish was no exception. While strolling down the aisle at the supermarket today...
-
Crazy me didn't had enough of Korea. I have just touched down from Seoul late last night and here I am cooking Korean food again. Wel...
-
I often have the weirdest craving at the weirdest hour. This was last night. I desperately wanted some Japanese cheesecake, at 10pm. By t...
-
My brother has been pestering me to cook up something fancy for him since he return from Perth a month ago. I've sadly been proscrati...
-
Marmite is one of my favourite ingredients and I have no idea how else to finish up that bottle other than with toast, marmite chicken or...