Steamed Fish with Fermented Black Beans


Steaming is my kind of 'thing'. Especially when it comes to seafood. Friends are usually not surprised to see me gobble up an entire plate of steamed crab or steamed live prawns all by myself. I think steaming is the best way to enhance the natural sweetness and preserve that 'sea taste' of seafood. I love it even better when it is steamed with very little condiments. This dish however, is an exception, given how savoury and flavoursome the black bean sauce is. Alright, I am also trying to finish up that bottle of fermented black bean sauce sitting on that top shelf in the refrigerator. 

Ingredients:

1 whole            fresh fish 
1 tablespoon     black bean garlic sauce (Ok, I cheated with ready made ones from Lee Kum Kee)
2 cloves            garlic, finely chopped
2 slices              ginger, julienned
3 whole             shallot, finely chopped 
1 stalk               red chilli, sliced
1 stalk               spring onion, sliced 
1/2 tablespoon  vegetable oil
1 bunch             coriander  

Method:

Heat pan and add in 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add in the ginger, shallot and garlic and fry until fragrant. Lower heat to low fire, add in black bean sauce and mashed the beans.

Place fish on a plate for steaming. Top fish with the prepared sauce and sliced chilli. Steamed on high heat for 10 minutes or until the fish is thoroughly cooked. Mum taught me that a fish is cooked when its eyes are totally popped out. 

Garnish with chopped spring onion, coriander and serve.  



Follow me on Facebook

Popular Posts